9.07.2009

The 48 Laws of Power





The "48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene was recommended to me recently.
This book is a 500 page anthology of all things power: history, politics, rhetoric, literary references, philosophy. You name it, it's there.
This book is a compilation of ruthless means to achieve the end of total domination. Means that have worked since virtually the beginning of times and that will, according to the author, continue to be effective ways to gain control.
Honestly, the books scares me a little in its amoral approach. HOWEVER, recently being faced with dirty little tricks from evil co-workers far more apt at manipulation that I; this book comes as quite an eye opener of what is being used against me.
This book quotes classic notables such as The Art of War, Machiavelli's The Prince, Nietzsche, Shoppenhauer, Cicero et all. Basically, it borrows from virtually all the usual suspects in a power game and draws out generalities (called "rules" in this book) and then backs them up with historical references.
Rule #1 is:
* Never Outshine the Master
Simple enough, huh?
Rule #7 is sleazy:
* Get others to do the work for you, but always take the credit.
OK. this one is dishonest and wrong. YET, it explains why I've been subjected to such unfair practices at work. At least this lets me know what to look out for.
I guess after a certain point you no longer work in an environment of idyllic collaboration. It's a cut throat work place and those who don't play the game (or at least know how to maneuver) end of a collateral.
Sad. Sad but true.
Had I only learned this crap earlier, I would have been less open to manipulation. But maybe I wasn't ready to absorb this "stuff" then. I probably wouldn't have believed such bull to exist in MY world.
Anyhow, another notable reference this book makes repeatedly is to a Spaniard called Baltazar Gracian.
Honestly, prior to this book I hadn't heard of him (pardon my ignorance) But I intend to read one or two of his pieces very soon.
His quotes intrigue me...
I also want to re-read The Prince. I read it in High School, but my mind was way to untarnished to grasp its validity.
Anyhow, the bottom line: Is this a good book? Kind of. It's a good compilation of ideas. It can expose the reader to a variety of famous pieces. But the author does not seem to come up with any original ideas of his own. He simply manipulated his way into publishing a "national bestseller"
Shocking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment