7.25.2009

Reading: The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner

Yesterday I started reading the book "The Geography of Bliss" by Eric Weiner.
The book wasn't due to arrive until today. But I got it Thursday afternoon. Just in time for

Cover of Cover via Amazon

my long weekend getaway beach side.
The Geography of Bliss studies happiness across the globe. It relies on sociology, psychology, study of religion and spiritualism to examine happiness across diverse cultures.

I started this book yesterday, shortly after arriving at one of my favorite places on earth: a beach side retreat.
I can imagine fewer places where I feel more at peace and in synchronicity with the universe than near the ocean. Everything just feels right.
It is quite a perfect setting to study the subject of happiness. (after all, I can't imagine reading about happiness and being surrounded by misery- It's be to angry to open myself up to the experience)
I like this book, it's quirky and well rounded. It's not perfect. But neither am I.
As I read it, I feel like Anthony Bourdain is narrating its pages in my head with the unequivocal dose of cynism that onlhy he can infuse to life.
This book has a myriad of interesting observations about humanity, our differences and how our perception of reality and acceptance of same has everything to do with ...happiness.
I plan to examine a few quotes/points from the book here in my blog. Because I find happiness in itself to be both Trivial AND Divine.
I think happiness IS the meaning of life. (but then again, what do I know?)
Am I happy?
Sometimes. Not always.
So, if I think happiness is the meaning of life, or at least the meaning of my life, Why am I not always happy?
Isn't my duty as a human being to fulfill my existence through happiness?

I am sure trying: I sit here on the balcony of a seaside retreat somewhere in Paradise, with a book in hand, a cold beer at arm's reach and a beautiful Yellow Tail Snapper in the oven....




0 comments:

Post a Comment